Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 22 of 22

Thread: Gone off the deep end....

  1. #21
    Senior Hostboard Member analog addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2007
    Posts
    521
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Gone off the deep end....

    Quote Originally Posted by RonSSS View Post
    What you showed with things stacked is interesting, but the room looks hard and not acoustic friendly at all. Looks painfull to the ears.

    When you build your "mancave" I suggest getting the book by Alton Everest on acoustics and doing it right.

    Amazon.com: Master Handbook of Acoustics (9780071360975): F. Alton Everest: Books


    Make it dead! Follow the construction details. 2x4 or even better, 2x6 for the walls over concrete, 16" centers stuffed with insulation and covered by at least 3/4" sheetrock screwed to the beams.
    Ceiling, 2x8 filled with even more fiberglass with acoustic tile. Floor, as much padding as you can stand, and good cut pile carpet.
    Pay attention to the dimensions so the LF modes don't pile up.

    You guys just don't pay attention to the room. It's huge to the overall result.

    When you get it done, pay attention to "slap echoes". It's simple....walk around the room and clap your hands and listen! Hear an echo, add some sort of treatment to parallel walls. If you can, avoid them when building. Non parallel walls, and a sloping ceiling......things I couldn't do in my existing basement.

    But I'll tell you , my room is great for horns, and it's why I think my setup works so well. Which none of you ever comment on....too bad none of you live in the NW....I really think you would be blown away. But I can't convey the sound in a post.

    I have been messing with Altecs in the home environment for 30 years.......the best vintage drivers ever, and when I get to listen, I'm still amazed.

    Ron
    Thanks Ron. I will get a copy of that book.

    To start, It will just be bare walls and sealed concrete, 'cause the budget doesn't allow for more. However, I will set up the electrical system to handle the load. I do have a fair number of thick oriental rugs, a couple almost room sized that I will lay down as soon as possible. Then the rest will come in stages......

    And as far as the 604's go, that location is just temporary as to not have to rearrange the garage to find a place to put them....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Analog Addict - Jack of all Trades, Master of None
    Searching for Sonic Nirvana...

  2. #22
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Gone off the deep end....

    Yep, the room makes so much difference!

    I'm lucky in my closed-in carport turned workshop. 12 foot ceilings, wood shingles on the side walls, open insulation on others. The acoustics may be a little too dry. No slap at all. It's mostly sound proofing from noise outside that I need now. Getting there slowly.

    The Alton Everest book has been a great help.

    Ron, sorry I didn't know you when I was in Portland. I would have come over for a listen, that's for sure.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.